Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:12:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha/24535: the function XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines of XFree 3.3.6 for alpha will hang up

Jan Conrad writes:
 > On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 >

 > > conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > maybe wait for XFree 4...
 > >
 > > FWIW, I run 4.02 on all my alphas.
 > >
 > > If you're willing to write a toy app that demonstrates the
 > > failure of XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines() call, I'd be willing to test
 > > it for you on a 4.02 X server.
 > >
 > > Drew
 > >

 > Here it comes!
 >
 > have fun!

It seems to be a library problem rather than a server problem.  When
compiled against 3.3.4, it behaves the way you've remarked. (eats up
all memory) no matter what server you run it against (3.3.x or 4.02).

When compiled against 4.02 libs, it seems to work just fine.  And it
works against a 4.02 server _and_ a 3.3.4 server.

So, you might have success with enlightnement if you were to build
XF86 4.02 from ports.

Drew