Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:41:23 +0100
From:      "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
To:        Clemens Hermann <haribeau@gmx.de>, BSD NET-List <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd restart

At 23:46 26-1-2002 +0100, Clemens Hermann wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a way to get natd to reload the config-file without terminating?
>The only way I found is to stop natd and then start it again.

I am afraid that natd is extremely simple, and does not allow any control
after it has been started.

>As the natd-config changes frequently here (we are changing the used network
>and we misuse natd to help us) I expect problems when just shuting down natd
>in a heavily used environment.

What sort of changes are you talking about here? Maybe there's a different
way of going about it.

>If I got it right natd does not keep track about state but anyway if I stop
>and start natd frequently I certainly will lose connections, right?

natd does keep state (in libalias, which is statically linked into it).
Killing natd would thus clean all your state info.

>I could not find a way to HUP natd, neither to change its behaviour during
>runtime.
>Is there a way to solve the issue or does the problem I see not exist and
>in reality nobody will notice anything if natd is stopped and restarted?

I use natd here at home and all translated connections get the boot when I
kill and restart natd. Connections that are only routed survive fine (since
they get no translation).

         Doc