Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:09:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daichi GOTO <daichi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, ozawa@ongs.co.jp, rodrigc@crodrigues.org
Subject:   Re: [REQUEST] unionfs needs some guys can do implements new 2 APIs for VFS

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Daichi GOTO wrote:

> 1 Introduction
>
>      We have always tried to keep changes just in unionfs segment
>  only. But by accomplish nothing, we need change the other segment.
>

> 2 Problem Description
>
>      Until now we have did many improvements for unionfs, but
>  now we feel the limication arount the process of unionfs's
>  "copied-up file".  Additional thinking of future support for
>  MAC extention, ADVLOCK lock infomation and somethinkg like those,
>  all the more reason to be careful.
>
> 3 Impact
>
>      It leads the confution of unionfs implementation and some
>  problem around lock mechanism. We cannot solve those problem
>  by just only changes in unionfs segument.

So, just to be clear that I understand things: the basic problem here is that
when unionfs copies a file up a layer in the stack due to local modifications
in the upper layer, you are not able to properly preserve the full set of file
attributes, so are looking for a way to do this?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge