Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:02:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@ninth-circle.org>
Cc:        Rene Veerman <rene@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie attempting to compile a 3.2 kernel

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven writes:
 > * Rene Veerman (rene@xs4all.nl) [990610 13:55]:
 > > Hija.
 > >
 > > I editted the kernel-config file myself (see bottom of mail), and tried
 > > compiling the kernel as described in the handbook. It compiled just fine,
 > > but when booting it comes up with
 > >
 > > elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
 > >
 > > Here, i'm lost ;-)
 >
 > No clue what this means...

This MAY mean that you have a 3.1 or earlier /boot/loader which
has trouble loading a 3.2 kernel.  It is possible that a new 3.2
/boot/loader file will fix the problem.  I track -STABLE with
cvsup, and I ran into something along this line when I compiled a
new kernel using the STABLE sources without doing a concommitant
"make world".  (Which upgrades /boot/loader.)  IIRC that is the
error message I received.

[elided]

Bud Dodson
--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790