Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 22:25:15 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lots of crud...

> I see no MAKEDEV.Local in src/release, MAKEDEV files are machine depenedent,
> so they need to be in the etc.i386 directory.  MAKEDEV.local is machine
> independent so it belongs where it is.

I meant move MAKEDEV _with_ MAKEDEV.local. MAKEDEV is in etc.i386, and
MAKEDEV.local is in etc. Should they at least not be together?

> These are the instructions for the other scripts, see below.

Then they need a _small_ bit of updating.

> > AFAICSee, these are all for the 1.1.5.1 install floppies.
>
> And are still in use by some folks who prefer the 1.x method of installing
> things.  I am still using these, expect a revamp some time real soon now.

OK - I'll buy that. Why would anyone still want the 1.x method ;-)

> > -  5178 Feb 20  1994 disktab
> > This, I believe, could comfortably live in src/etc
>
> Think multiplatform, but maybe this could safely be moved.  This is the
> traditional BSD location for this source file.

I'll go for tradition. It needs some updating tho'. There are a few hard disks
out there...

> > More 1.1.5.1 crud...
>
> And stuff that still works 99% of the way.

Ok.

> There is no such thing as a non-customizable file in /etc :-(.

Bummer. It is much better, now that most of the customising can be
done _without_ messing with rc*. This idea should be taken as far as
possible with other /etc files, leaving as clear as possible a distinction
between files that one _should_ modify, _may_ modify and should preferably
_not_ modify. I was Helping someone upgrade his production 1.1 box to
1.1.5.1 today, and the /etc area was a nightmare to do.

--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa