Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:28:03 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Wagner <markw@horvitznewspapers.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how track list of programs in the FreeBSD core?

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 04:45:12PM -0800, Mark Wagner wrote:
> I like the set of programs that are part of the base FreeBSD install. They
> are a useful and complete set without a lot of cruft. Contrast this with,
> say, SuSE that will install a demo of Applixware as part of the default
> install or Solaris that doesn't include a complier.
>
> What I would like to do is determine what goes into a base install
> (no ports) of FreeBSD and mimic that on other systems.
>
> Short of "find /usr/src", does anybody have any ideas how I could
> automatically generate a list of applications that are part of the base
> install?
>
> Also, how is it decided what goes in and what doesn't?
>
> I tried searching the mailing lists, etc. but I am at a loss as to what
> terms to use in the search.

I may not be understanding what you want here, but if you are
referring to what sysinstall adds as a minimal binary-only install
then look what's in the bin dist on the first CD:

     # mount /cdrom
     # cd /cdrom/bin
     # cat bin.?? | tar --unlink -tpzf -
     ./
     bin/
     bin/cat
     bin/chio
     bin/chmod

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

> --
> markw@horvitznewspapers.net

   Beam me up Scottie, there's no intelligent life down here