Date:      Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:44:37 -0500
From:      Scott Johnson <sjohn@airlinksys.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   arp timeout

Is the timeout on the arp cache restarted on each communication with the
device? Or is the cache refreshed every timeout interval whether there has
been activity at all?

Also: I'm using the sysctl method that arp.c uses to check the cache, but
I don't like allocating a big buffer and running through all the entries
to find the one I'm looking for. It appears that SIOCGARP is not
supported. I would use the routing socket approach (I'm assuming it works
the way Stevens describes in UNP ch. 17), but that requires root privs. Am
I stuck with sysctl if I want to check the cache as a user?

--
                                 Scott Johnson
                          System/Network Administrator