Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:47:09 +0100
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -taso on amd64

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:53:58PM +0100, Francois Tigeot wrote:

> It was possible to compile "32-bit limited" applications on the Alpha, which
> was a 64-bit only architecture. I don't know if it is possible on amd64.

This extract from contrib/binutils/ld/ChangeLog-0001 is hopefully better
worded:

2000-07-27  Ivan Kokshaysky  <ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru>

	* emulparams/elf64alpha.sh: Implement "-taso" emulation
	specific option to fit 64-bit executable in the lower
	31-bit address range.  This is done by changing start
	address of .interp (the very first section of executable)
	and then setting EF_ALPHA_32BIT elf header flag.

This stuff could be useful to have a native OpenOffice, for example.

--
Francois Tigeot