Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2013 23:55:47 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting from zfs failed with error 22 with gmirror

on 14/09/2013 22:53 Daniel Gerzo said the following:
> The problem is that while I do not load geom_mirror from loader.conf, the
> machine boots fine, however as soon as I enable gmirror in loader.conf the
> machine doesn't boot and errors with
>
> /Trying to mount root from zfs:sys/default/root [].../
>
> /Mounting from zfs:sys/default/root failed with error 22.
> /
>

> and it hangs in the prompt asking me to enter device to mount root from.
>
> I found only this
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2012-November/037910.html
> email where avg@ mentions that it might be a bug in his code, but no further
> followups. However that is almost a year ago and I got trapped by this on 9.2-RC4.

At that time there was a specific new change committed and I already had a
report about the kind of configurations that were broken by that change.

So far, I have no idea what could cause your problem.

You may want to try the following diagnostic patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/zfs-root-pool-config-debug.patch
If your kernel configuration doesn't have INVARIANTS then you can either add
that or remove DEBUG check around the added code.
Please enable verbose boot, set vfs.zfs.debug and kern.geom.mirror.debug (in
loader.conf or at its prompt) and try to capture any interesting geom and ZFS

Andriy Gapon