Date:      Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:36:39 -0600
From:      Steve Suhre <tech@nano.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail & Procmail

I want to run spamassassin site-wide, but can't get mail to it.... I've
followed the instructions but for some reason email isn't going through
sendmail, into procmail, and then filtering through spamassassin.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6, sendmail 8.12 and have procmail installed on
the server. Procmail runs fine from individual accounts, but I'm having
trouble getting it to run site-wide from sendmail so I can filter email
through spamassassin. I've got a file called "procmailrc" in /etc,
/etc/mail and /usr/local/etc. My sendmail.mc file looks something like this:

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_procmail, `/usr/bin/procmail')
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
MAILER(procmail)
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)

and my procmailrc looks like this:

DROPPRIVS=yes

:0fw
* < 256000
| /usr/local/bin/spamc -f

All the pieces seem work fine if run from the command line, but there
are no spamassassin headers in any email messages. I don't see spamc or
spamd running, so I'm guessing the problem is either in procmail finding
the rc file, or sendmail using procmail. Does anyone have any ideas or
suggestions? What am I missing?