Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:58:40 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my first coaster with cdrecord/FreeBSD :-(

=?iso-8859-1?q?Graham=20Guttocks?= writes:
> "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> wrote:
>
> > This looks like a bad block on the CD.  Thus the reason it worked when you
> > tried again with a new CD.  (Which is probably the right approach to take
> > to fix the problem.)
>
> Uhm, ok.  I guess I find this hard to swallow since this was a high-quality
> CD-R, brand-new from its case.

In previous employment we were going thru about 500 CD-R blanks/year.
One bad out of 12 isn't good, but also isn't a large enough sample size
to say. Some lots of blanks are simply lemons. Its not as if they can
do 100% testing from the factory.  :-)

Most of this was happening about 3 years ago. Had 2 CD stations, one SGI
O2, another Gateway P-133 and FreeBSD 2.2.[5-8] (I forget, at one time
it had them all). Cdrecord did very well on both systems. Neither system
accepted the Yamaha CDR-100 as a cdreader. So I had shell scripts to
make "working copies" on HD of whatever the source was (often 8mm tape)
and MD5 signatures of every file. Another to burn the CD-R. And another
to verify it mounted in the reader. Almost always was verifying one
while the next was burning. Often reading the next from tape or over the
network at the same time. The FreeBSD system ran with XFree86 all the
time, in 24 MB of RAM. The O2 had 64MB. Cdrecord never reported a
buffer underrun. But sometimes a bad disc would turn up in the verify
stage.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net