Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2023 21:20:24 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>
Cc:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: An idea for swap partition size vs. swap space size in use handling

On Feb 25, 2023, at 21:00, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2023, at 20:01, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> It produces a notice reporting how much bigger what it is
>>> using is than what is recommended, if I understand the
>>> message right. Here is an example were the difference was
>>> small for an armv7 context:
>>>=20
>>> warning: total configured swap (1003519 pages) exceeds maximum =
recommended amount (1003072 pages).
>>>=20
>>> Another from a context with a much bigger difference:
>>>=20
>>> warning: total configured swap (2097152 pages) exceeds maximum =
recommended amount (916632 pages).
https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2023-January/003086.htm=
>=20
> I wrote text between the places the places that you quote:
>=20
> "warning: increase kern.maxswzone or reduce amount of swap."
>=20
> and:
>=20
> "As I understand, the 2097152 pages vs. 916632 pages example means"
>=20
> that included quotes from man 8 loader, specifically its
> kern.maxswzone material, that indicated there are resource
> tradeoffs in adjusting kern.maxswzone and also indicated that
> "care should be taken to not configure more swap than approximately
> half of the theoretical maximum". It also says that kern.maxswzone
> "directly governs the maximum amount of swap the system can support".
>=20
> I'll also note that adjusting kern.maxswzone does not, of itself,
> notably change the amount of swap that would be put to use for the
> same workload.
>=20
> So a message reporting to either adjust kern.maxswzone or
> reduce the amount of swap is not documented to just be about
> avoiding unused swap space, so long as the system does not
> reach the "unrecoverable state" that was referenced in the
> same quoted material.
>=20
> If what I quoted is insufficient evidence for you, I'm not
> likely to find other evidence that would be sufficient
> for you. (Not that I've ever found other material about
> the issue.)

One adjustment:  I forgot that these days the material that
I originally quoted has moved around and  where to find it
depends on the vintage of FreeBSD in question.

For 13.1-RELEASE:

=
https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dloader&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D8=
&manpath=3DFreeBSD+13.1-RELEASE&arch=3Ddefault&format=3Dhtml

shows it in man 8 loader . (Similarly for older.)

But for 13.2-STABLE:

=
https://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dloader_simp&apropos=3D0&sektio=
n=3D8&manpath=3DFreeBSD+13.2-STABLE&arch=3Ddefault&format=3Dhtml

shows it in man 8 loader_simp . (Similarly for 14.0-CURRENT.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com