Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:59:38 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Print a (rate-limited) warning when UMA zone is full.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37:52AM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
P> I'm happy with using log(9), but currently when log(9) is used, the
P> message is not printed on the console, it only ends up in the system
P> log. printf(9) on the other hand is printed on the console and is
P> appended to the system logs.
P>
P> The only case where log(9) will actually log to the console, AFAIR, is
P> when syslogd is not working.

... or when syslogd is configured to log to console :)

Extensive use of kernel printfs kills boxes that run serial consoles.

I'd prefer to see all logging in kernel done via log(9) and default
syslogd.conf configured to write kern.* to console. Those people, who run
serial consoles can remove this from their syslogd.conf.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.