Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:07:30 -0800 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie: need help with installation and booting FBSD3.1

> 1) What is up with that Bootmngr installation thing? It asks me to select a
> hard disk and to press "Q" at the FDISK screen so I do so and it asks me
> the same thing again. I don't get it. In the end I seemed to get past it
> but it never installed the boot manager.

	Try the other manager, optionally there is also a third party
bootmanager in the /tools directory on the CDROM or on the FTP site. Also,
you should be pressing F1 or F2 to choose which operating system to boot.

> 2) What is up with all the ports and packages? I don't know what a LOT of
> them do. And how come when I select a pre-installed system like "Developer"
> I have to go through ALL that DEC encryption stuff? Can I install more than
> one of these systems?

	Ports and packages are essentially programs that you can run. I.e.
Netscape is both a port and a package. The screen you're talking about
above is kind of a 'default' installation screen. If you install X-User
(which you probally want to do,) it loads XFree86 and all the basic
nessecary stuff to get a running system.
	Also, there is not a lot of DEC encryption stuff, merely one menu.
Choose DEC encryption unless you reside outside the US. Even if you can
install more then one, you'll only want to load one.

> 3) As far as ports and packages go... How do I figure out WHAT to install?
> I noticed a lot of stuff like this:
> emacs-<version_number>
> emacs-dl-<same_version_number_as_above>

	Well... see www.freebsd.org/ports for a list of what (just about)
everything is. If it is not on that list, you really don't need it yet.
Because if you do need it, you'll know how to get it...:)
	As for what to install... that's up to you. The first time I did
it I loaded Netscape, Lynx (command line HTML viewer,) Afterstep (Windows
manager that is IMHO more functional and better looking then the default
one,) Apache because I knew I wanted to run a local web server for
developement, a bunch of games, and Pico/Pine because I was familiar with
it enough that I could get my e-mail. For a basic desktop machine there
isn't much more you need right away.
	As for the above, you can think of it as different versions for
different users. The one that says emacs-dl-xxxx I'd assume is a
developers version but I could be wrong... I don't use it and currently
have no desire to learn. :)

		  			Rick