Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2023 06:56:59 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Docker

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:40:36 +0000
Hosney Osman <hosneybinosman@gmail.com> wrote:

> great information for me is Jails and Bhyve alternative for Docker in
> FreeBSD

	This is not the case!

	Jails are the FreeBSD equivalent of Linux containers (LXC).

	Byhve is the FreeBSD native hypervisor, it runs vms.

	The nearest things to docker are managers like iocage, bastille and
cbsd. None of them provide the layered images approach to composing that
docker uses which has led to the massive library of images and the plug
and play simplicity (which comes at the price of not understanding your
servers). They tend to use a package based approach to defining jails
(which pretty much forces you to know all about your servers).

> are there any alternative for kubernetes also

	No - there is nothing else like kubernetes and until recently it
had a hard coded dependency on docker. That has now gone and a port of
kubernetes to FreeBSD with support for jails as containers should be
possible. The convenient plug and play distributed application component
library is more difficult, but BastilleBSD may be a starting point (that
would cast bastille into the role that docker plays on Linux for
kubernetes).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>