Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:31:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Tyler <tjr@cagelink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with large hard drive

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Tyler wrote:

> Im installing FreeBSD on a server going into an ISP but im running into
> problems with drive geometry.  The first time I tryed it said it was
> incorrect, set it to 9732/255/63 and installed.  Didn't work.  Then I
> tryed 16383/16/63, thats what Maxtor's Documents said.  Didn't work.  Then
> I went into the BIOS and set the HDD to manual and played around with the
> C/H/S and matching those with how I installed FreeBSD.  Didn't work.  I
> need to get this server up ASAP but im running into these problems.  Any
> help will be greatly appreciated.

There are any one of hundreds of things which could cause this.

The bottom line is that:

1) CHS settings in bios must match freebsd settings.  I'd autodetect the
drive with bios, and then when I install in freebsd make sure that you
enter the bios settings into the partitioner so it knows what the bios
thinks.

2) LBA/non-lba matters.

3) You didn't tell us where the boot fails (I'm assuming it's a boot
problem).

4) Does it work if you boot the kernel off a floppy, with root set to the
hard drive. (details on how to do this left as exercise to reader)

5) Some bioses won't boot the kernel off of anything beyond cyl 1024.

And so on.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE