Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 2002 18:58:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Ned Wolpert <wolpert@codeheadsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 4.7-stable to -current question

On 03-Nov-2002 Ned Wolpert wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 17:20, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>> Read the UPDATING file very carefully.  You'll see that one of the steps
>> in upgrading from 4.x to 5.0 is updating the boot blocks.
>
> Yes, there are several entries.  20000615 is the most interesting:
>
>         In addition, you'll need to update your boot blocks to a
>         more modern version, if you haven't already done so.  Modern
>         here means 4.0 release or newer (although older releases
>         may work).
>
> Now, my system was installed around 4.4, so I "should not" need to
> update my boot blocks.  Correct?

Mmm, perhaps not.  :-)

> Getting back to my original question, the problem I was having was with
> the loader itself.  Now, do I have to execute this step (from the
> UPDATING document)
>     cd src/sys/boot ; make install

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of, actually.  Had a little slip of the
brain there.  :-)

> Reason why I ask is because my loader is from 4.4, so it should work.
> (Provided I do a
>     ok unload
>     ok boot /boot/kernel/kernel
> manually)  As the UPDATING doc mentions, upgrading from 4.x to 5.x needs
> that step to avoid those extra steps, yes? But it should still boot if I
> unload and load manually, correct?  I guess the real question was that
> if this is the case, it didn't boot into /boot/kernel/kernel at that
> point either... after the unload and boot steps above.  Could that have
> occurred because I still had the old /modules directory?

I do think this last step (make install in sys/boot) is an absolute "must"
to boot the new kernel.  Someone may correct me, but that's the impression I
got from reading the docs.

Myself, I played it ultra-safe and followed the upgrade instructions to the
letter, including moving the 4.x modules to a different directory.  The
upgrade went off without a single gotcha.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>