Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:34:32 -0500
From:      mikel king <mikel.king@ocsny.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble brewing over the UNIX thing again...

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:45:04PM -0500, mikel king wrote:
>

>>   McBride also confirmed that the company has hired high-profile
>>   attorney David Boies and his legal firm to investigate whether
>>   Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and versions of BSD infringed on the Unix
>>   intellectual property it owned.
>>

>This was already resolved in the early 90s when USL sued BSDi over
>encumbered UNIX code in BSD, and the case was settled.  You can read
>more about this in the archives.

Yes I remember it well....

>Furthermore, last year someone from SCO explicitly gave FreeBSD
>permission to publish the older code anyway.

I do vaguely recall something about this. Of course they neglected to
state which flavour(s) are being alledged. Still one has to wonder why
they cite BSD in their list of offendees...

>I don't expect anything to come of this.
>
>Kris

I suppose one could speculate that FreeBSD could even benefit from such
actions. While Linux, MAC OSX, and whomever else these guy point the
finger at are battleing it out in court; FreeBSD could quietly move ahead...

Still this all smells like an act of a desperate company, and wether
FreeBSD has anything or not to worry about, I personally wouldn't want
to see our developers having to waste time and resources in court
dancing with lawyers et cettera...

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org