Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 00:47:57 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site search engines for FreeBSD server?

Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to know which web site search engine programs you ISP:s are
> using with FreeBSD. We are using a modified version of web glimpse right
> now, and we are not really satisfied with the it. It refuses to work
> well with non-ascii characters, and this is not acceptable for most
> non-english websites, since umlauts, etc are not found. Our
> modifications fix this, but not quite well.
>
> Anyway, before we jump in and do a revamp of the web glimpse, I'd like
> to hear about other recommmendations. They can be both free or
> commercial, but we need to have the program configurable in terms of how
> the search results are presented, i.e. we wan't our own design, and they
> are probably different for different web sites using the same binary, so
> it should preferrably be configurable without altering the source.
>
> Ideas and recommendations are welcome. Thanks for your time!

Well, I was hoping there would be a flood of replies here as we will soon be
in the market for web site search tools too. We presently use Glimpse
extensively on another host, but the U. of Arizona license fee for commercial
use on our own server seems excessive (what with FreeBSD and free Apache).

Have you considered Swish (http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/), which I
haven't tried to install yet, but which is one of our candidates? The docs do
indicate that special characters are accommodated. See
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/Manual/qanda.html .

One minus: "There is no phrase indexing capability for Swish-e."

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna