Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:11:48 +0200
From:      pons <pons@gmx.li>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Harddisk problems

Thomas Schuerger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just bought an IBM Deskstar DPTA-372730 27.3 GB UDMA/2 drive
> for my FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT system. However, I am having severe problems
> with the 19 GB slice I have created.
>
> I am using the ATA driver with my UDMA controller on my ASUS P2B-DS
> mainboard. The ATA driver keeps telling me there are "hard errors"
> when reading some certain sectors on the disk. fsck currently cannot
> check the slice, as it reports there are two sectors that cannot be
> read (fsck does not mark the slice as being clean, so I cannot
> mount the disk r/w). However, before there were once problems to
> unmount the disk on reboot (and therefore fsck check was enforced),
> I was able to use the slice just fine (even though the ATA driver
> reported those errors in the console). The other slices on the disk
> work fine so far.
>
> The ATA driver outputs the following in the console:
>
> ad0: status=51 error=84
> ad_interrupt: hard error
>
> fsck reports the following:
>
> ** /dev/rad0s1g
> ** Last Mounted on /data
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
>
> CANNOT READ: BLK 18350144
> CONTINUE? [yn] y
>
> THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 18350191,
>
> CANNOT READ: BLK 38274656
> CONTINUE? [yn] y
>
> THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 38274713,
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> 13387 files, 7898160 used, 11063158 free (11870 frags, 1381411 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)
>
> ***** FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY *****
>
> ***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****
>
> I have tried formatting the whole partition with Windows and that
> worked fine. Then I used newfs to reinstall UFS on it (which went
> much too fast for actually formatting the disk), something like
> 30 seconds with FreeBSD compared to 20 minutes with Windows (note
> that using Windows I formatted the whole partition, whereas using
> FreeBSD I just newfs'ed the 19 GB slice).
>
> Is there a better way to actually check the slice for errors or
> do a "format" that does a verify on the formatted data? I'd like to
> know whether the disk really has some hard errors on it or if perhaps
> the filesystem or ATA driver cannot handle such big partition. I'd
> also like to know which testing tools can be used to check that.
>
> Thanks for your answers!
>
> Ciao,
> Thomas Schürger.   http://www.menden.augustin.de

Hi

i can tell you about my story, I had before few days
a HDD crash (Bad Cluster) with my Maxtor IDE/AT,
i resolved it by downloading a Low level format
program MAXLLF.EXE from the web

"The MAXLLF.EXE program is designed and intended to be used
only with Maxtor IDE/AT hard drives. This program will
Low Level format the hard drive and restore the media
to it's original factory format."

Maxtor's Low Level Format Utility can be obtained
from http://www.maxtor.com/

That was from my own experience.

--
pons@gmx.li