Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:06:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org>, Vincent Defert <vdefert@trace.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sun, 15 February 1998 at  6:18:06 +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Feb 1998 22:38:12 -0600 (CST), John Goerzen
> > <jgoerzen@alexanderwohl.complete.org> wrote:

> >> In comparing Linux to SunOS and Solaris in heavliy-loaded systems, I can
> >> say that Linux performed much better.  However, I have not compared it
> >> directly to FreeBSD.
> >
> > I have.  Linux comes apart at the seams under load.  FreeBSD just
> > keeps going and going and going ....
>
> This ties in with just about every report I've heard about Linux,
> though I have no personal experience in the area.  I also find it hard
> to believe that Linux should be able to beat Solaris 2 in this area.

To go more into details: I didn't want to say the the interactive response
times of heavily loaded Linux systems are bad in general.

The more serious problem is that the Linux dynamic process priorities are
in fact cpu times the process will be able use within a time interval of
unknown length. After consuming all of its `priority stock' a process will
*not* be started again until there's no more runnable process in the system
with a non-zero priority. Then and only then each such process is assigned
again its original static priority which is based on the nice value, and
the game starts all over again.

Therefore, in case of heavily loaded systems, there's a high risk that the
scheduling will not be fair.

The FreeBSD scheduler as many UNIX schedulers also punishes a cpu-bound
process by increasing its dynamic process priority value and thus lowering
the priority. But on the other hand it uses a decay filter to reduce the
priority value periodically to give such a process a fair chance again
after a definite number of clock ticks.

K. Heuer, GWDG, Goettingen, Germany
(kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de)