Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:47:08 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new CARP implementation

2011/8/11 Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:38:04AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> F> However, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for removing the carpX
> F> pseudo-interface.  It's really nice having the symmetry between carpX,
> F> vlanX, brX, and other pseudo-interfaces, and keeping the configuration
> F> details separate from the underlying physical interface.
> F>
> F> This now makes creating/configuring CARP different from
> creating/configuring
> F> VLANs.  :(
>
> This is done because VLANs _are_ interfaces, they are tunnels within
> ethernet
> interfaces, splitting one interface into a bunch. Bridges are interfaces,
> as
> well as LACP trunks (lagg(4)), since they group a number of interfaces into
> one. CARP addresses _are not_ interfaces, they are addresses. IMHO,
> implementing
> them as virtual interface subtly attached to a real one, was a layering
> violation.
>
> Thinking about it some more, and doing some reading on how VRRP and CARP
work, I'm starting to see things from your point of view.

Now you just need to figure out a way to make ifconfig(8) show which IPs on
an interface are controlled via CARP.  Perhaps add it to the carp: line as
well?  Or make the carp: a multi-line option?  Or something along those
lines?

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com