Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2013 22:54:09 +1100
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLOW rsync from bit0.us-west

--------------enigA632DDC0BF67A6DF4877D27E

On 12/01/2013 16:30, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 11:21 PM, John Marshall wrote:
>> I have been updating the gnats collection on our mirror via rsync
>> since the CVSup updates stopped but noticed this morning that the
>> updates appeared to be stalled. I killed off jobs that appeared to
>> be stuck downloading incremental file list (after about 20 minutes)
>> but then thought to run rsync manually with -vvv. What I saw then
>> was short bursts of messages like 'recv_file_name(bin/nnnn)'
>> interspersed with 15-20 seconds of nothing. tcpdump showed just a
>> handful of packets every 15 seconds or so. The update eventually
>> finished after more than 2 hours.

>> Is it just me?
>=20
> I was doing csup from cvsup-master this morning, and it was similarly
> extremely slow.  I killed it, and then tried again several hours
> later, and it went at normal speed.

Thanks Stephen. Since it appears that both hosts are located in the same
place, I took heart from your remarks and tried again, wondering if,
perhaps, the gremlins had all gone to bed.  No joy however: 50 minutes
to transfer 30 files.

ozsrv03# rsync -avz --stats bit0.us-west.freebsd.org::FreeBSD-bit/gnats/
/freebsd/current/gnats/gnats
This is bit0.us-west.FreeBSD.org.

receiving incremental file list
=2E/
bin/
bin/175139
bin/175181
docs/
docs/175226
gnats-adm/
gnats-adm/current
gnats-adm/index
gnats-adm/locks/
kern/
kern/174749
kern/175179
kern/175220
kern/175227
misc/
ports/
ports/155991
ports/164600
ports/167374
ports/168010
ports/168464
ports/172372
ports/173620
ports/174318
ports/174385
ports/174955
ports/175167
ports/175168
ports/175187
ports/175203
ports/175206
ports/175210
ports/175216
ports/175217
ports/175228
ports/175229
ports/175230

Number of files: 174431
Number of files transferred: 30
Total file size: 1738385115 bytes
Total transferred file size: 34275776 bytes
Literal data: 171451 bytes
Matched data: 34107102 bytes
File list size: 1967889
File list generation time: 0.255 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 45313
Total bytes received: 2025814

sent 45313 bytes  received 2025814 bytes  677.17 bytes/sec
total size is 1738385115  speedup is 839.34

--=20
John Marshall