Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:43:56 +1000
From:      Wobbly <snorkel@telstra.com>
To:        worldly BSD <worldlybsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount floopy drive/cd cd

Hi worldly,

I have these lines in /etc/fstab...

/dev/acd0c		/cd0	cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0	#Ricoh
/dev/acd1c		/cd1	cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0	#Toshiba
/dev/fd0		/a		ufs	rw,noauto		#FreeBSD disks
/dev/fd0		/b		msdos	rw,noauto		#MSDOS disks
/dev/ad0s1		/nt		ntfs	rw,noauto		#Win2k
/dev/ad0s1		/fat		msdos	rw,noauto		#Win98

I have renamed the /cdrom directory /cd0 & created another dir called
/cd1 for my second cdrom drive. I prefer the shorter names, that's why I
renamed them.

I then have two seperate entries for the one floppy device. This is
required for each type of filesystem I wish to read. /dev/fd0 is the
device, /a is the dir I created specifically for mounting ufs floppy's.
"rw,noauto" means "read/write,don't mount it when booting the system".
Once you've edited /etc/fstab and made sure the directories they point
to are correct, reboot for /etc/fstab to be reloaded.

It is now a simple matter of issuing from anywhere "mount /a" for a ufs
floppy or "mount /b" for a msdos floppy. If all goes well you may then
navigate to /a or /b & view the contents of the disk. To unmount, cd out
of /a then issue "umount /a". umount-ing from within the mounted
device's directory will return an error message saying the device is
busy.

Note the hard drive entries I have as well - normally you can set these
to just "rw" without the "noauto" option, that is, they will mount
automatically when the system boots. The problem is those drives (like
CD's & floppy's) are removable & if not found at startup will halt
FreeBSD from booting.

Note that ntfs is not optioned in the GENERIC kernel config file. You
must...

option		NTFS

then rebuild.

Rosco.