Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 14:11:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   3.0-SNAP install observations

I installed from 3.0-970502-SNAP boot.flp (got around that initial
hang by disabling down to just the devices I needed)

Is there a way to save that to boot.conf?

I installed via ftp from ftp.de.freebsd.org (with normal X User and User)
and it went smooth so far sheere installation to disk is concerned.

After installation I chose to set the root password but
it didn't make it into the password db, at least I was unable to login
as root after reboot.

Also /etc/rc.conf didn't know about what I entered into the host
configuration menu screen (all the information about gateway,
hostname, domain). Just /etc/resolv.conf had inherited information
from that dialog. I assume the rc.conf stuff is still under construction
and it's a SNAP anyway. So no real complaint, please, just a note.

Ah, and as a last note: I disabled VGA16 and SVGA since I thought
I didn't need it. Later I learnt that I needed it when I wanted
to try the XF86setup (graphical). So a not that VGA16 might be
mandatory for some install scripts to work wouldn't be bad.