Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:19:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@AUSS2.ALCATEL.COM.AU>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry not free

:> :
:> :This means that invariants need to add relatively little overhead.
:> :
:> :Peter
:>
:>     .... which they do.
:
:You know, guys, for programmers, wanting immediate panics on stuff like
:this is great, but there isn't one user in a thousand that wants this.
:If you make this kinda stuff default on a version *other than* current
:(current being by definition, for programmers/developers only) then
:you're going to hear bloody murder, and you guys will be doing vast
:damage to FreeBSD's reputation.
:
:Users don't want panics, and they don't care why, they just want things

    No no no... you are missing the whole point.

    *IF* we put these kinds of checks in by default, the result is a
    few more panics in the near term, but *NO* panics in the medium and
    long term.

    In otherwords, by putting the checks in now, the kernel gets debugged
    much more quickly --- to the point where a year down the line we no
    longer get kernel panics at all.

    If you are worried about FreeBSD's reputation, just think where we
    would be now if we had done this 3 years ago!

    When you push something under the rug, all you do is draw out the
    complaints into multiple years.  This can't be ( and hasn't been ) good
    for our reputation.

					    -Matt