Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 09:42:27 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        J B <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>, freebsd-sysinstall@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/172846: bsdinstall - setting hostname

sysinstall (and as the PR points out, xauth) used/uses gethostbyname(3) whi=
ch could hang if DNS wasn't configured or was configured incorrectly. That'=
s the nature of why sysinstall automatically populates hosts(5) with an ent=
ry for the current hostname.

I've been thinking a lot about whether this is still needed today.

Most programs have switched away from gethostbyname(3) and are instead usin=
g getaddrinfo(3) and/or getnameinfo(3), but I imagine that since they are f=
rom the same family of functions, the replacements to gethostbyname(3) woul=
d hang similarly on un/misconfigured DNS.

My thinking is that=85

1. Like Nathan, I never configure our systems this way, but that's because =
we always have working DNS and if a hang occurs, we know why

2. I believe that maintaining a hosts(5) entry for the local machine name c=
ouldn't hurt (but only help those that may not fully grok why their system =
is hanging ala illusive typo in resolv.conf etc.).

--=20
Devin

On Dec 31, 2012, at 6:24 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> On 12/31/12 09:10, J B wrote:
>> The following reply was made to PR bin/172846; it has been noted by GNAT=
S.