Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:37:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pilot error on my part or feedback on the 2.1 snap

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY stands accused of saying:
> On the advice of Richard Wackerbarth I decided to install the 2.1 snap
> instead of the 2.0.5 RELEASE. This after years of running FreeBSD 1.x
> and 386BSD before that. While I applaud the new improved installation
> there needs to be a way to see what went wrong with something, a terse
> "It didn't work" isn't very satisfying. Howzabout a "Press F3 to see
> the log" or something similar? It could stand an "expert only" escape
> to a command shell too.

How about reading the docco, setting the 'extra debugging' flag in the
options menu, and hitting alt-F2 to watch the output?

> But even more confounding is, when it finally seems willing to write
> the label, to have the kernel panic with the message "biodone: buffer
> not busy", sync the disk and reboot. So far this has happened several
> times and I have been otherwise unsuccessful in installing.

I'd suggest that pilot error is manifesting here.  Go down the menu,
one entry at a time.  Start with the slice editor, then the labeller,
and so on.

> and an old Logitech busmouse controller. The boot probe says that wdc0
> is an AC31200F. The disk itself is, as I recall, a Seagate Barracuda,
> 1222 meg drive, actual geometry reported during the boot probe is 2484
> Cyl, 16 H, 63 Sec, CMOS geometry is 621 Cyl, 64 H, 64 Sec. This machine
> has been running OS/2 3.0 quite happily for many moons with no problems.
>
> Thoughts?

Well, the Barracuda is a SCSI disk, so you're not running one of them.

What you have is a Western Digital AC31200F.  Prodiving you're within the
1024-cylinder mark, you should be fine.

This is an installation question, and not even vaguely suitable for
the -hackers list.

> Kaleb KEITHLEY

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[