Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:36:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports to NT (was Win32...)

> Furthermore, since they needed to meet UNIX semantics to
> qualify for POSIX.1, these programs don't interact well with native
> Windows:  having to type / instead of \, case-sensitivity, and
> "//D/mydir" instead of "D:\mydir", while traditional for Unix, just seem
> awkward in the Windows environment.

Actually, you just solved a problem for me; I've been thinking about
poinding in some experimental syntax for a couple of things, and the
// POSIX escape is just the thing... 8-).

The FS call themselves don't care about / vs \ and the directory
lookup is case insensitive, so I don't know what you are seeing.

> Oh, and of course, these programs don't work under Windows 95...

Compliant Win32 programs will run on both systems.

> [ ... ] why not port
> programs that DON'T have good Windows equivalents, such as sed, awk,
> tcsh, fortune, sup, CVS, and the like?

CVS is already ported.  There is a Windows95 (WIN32) client, and a
Windows NT server.

> "man":  I plan to convert all man and info pages (with the help of Perl
> scripts, probably) to .RTF files and from there compile them to Windows
> Help files.  However, they will retain the same format, and I'd like to
> write a wrapper "man" program which would automatically spawn WinHelp
> with the appropriate page.

Actually, I'd like to see a help file compiler and X and command line
readers for BSD.  8-).

Something like the SDK's HCW.EXE ("Help Workshop").  8-).

> Shells:  I'd like to see tcsh (primarily for interactive use) and bash
> (for interactive use and shell scripts).  They should be able to spawn
> Win32, Win16, and DOS programs just like CMD.EXE..

Shells are hard; specifically, the interface to the DOS virtual machine
is a pain.  All I can say is "good luck".  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.