Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:36:07 -0500
From:      Jeremy McMillan <aphor@ripco.NOSPAM.com>
To:        Rich Winkel <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        aphor@ripco.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributing STABLE using Installworld over NFS

My installworld over nfs died trying to find crtbegin.o in the obj tree even
though find finds it

/usr/obj/src/usr.src/tmp/usr/lib/crtbegin.o

install fails after installing the first set of

Rich Winkel wrote:
> I think I mistyped the last not.  What I meant was:
> Where did the installworld die?  Do you have any output?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

and again:

> According to Jeremy McMillan:
> > There *must* be make installworld dependancies outside of the /usr/src and
> > /usr/obj filesystems. Pulling an installworld (or install for that matter)
> > from a remote machine's /usr/src/ and /usr/obj is broken. Pushing an
> > installworld to the target machine by mounting it's filesystem is working.
> > That tells me there's something necessary but unavailable when you try to
> > make installworld from the older box.
>
> There's one "outside" dependency I know of.  Some of the builds (such
> as perl) create symbolic links in the obj dir which have absolute
> rather than relative paths into the src directory.  If, on the build
> server, /usr/src & /usr/obj are symbolic links to directories elsewhere
> (which in my case is true because I wanted to do the build on a
> softupdate'd disk and I'm not using softupdates on /usr) you'll run
> into problems installing from an nfs client if the "elsewhere" doesn't
> exist on the client.
> In my case I had to create a symbolic link
> /u2 -> usr
> on the client, then everything went smoothly.

In my case, the symbolic links on my install server are from the /src
partition which has
/src/usr.src and /src/usr.obj symlinked to /usr/src and /usr/obj
respectively... By your suggestion, if I make a directory on my client /src
containing symlinks /src/usr.src-->/usr/src and /src/usr.obj-->/usr/obj then
make will be able to build from my client mounting -t nfs
installserver:/src/usr.src /usr/src and installserver:/src/usr.obj /usr/obj?

--
PLEASE NOTICE: THERE MAY BE NOSPAM IN THE HEADERS WHEN YOU HIT "REPLY"!!!
Jeremy McMillan <aphor at  ripco.com> | Ask for PGP-2.6.2 or 5.0i