Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 03:08:57 -0700
From:      "D.M.P." <gryph@mindless.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What makes the Big Sites Run?

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Brett Taylor wrote:
>
> > from Netcraft:
> >
> >      homepages.msn.com is running Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) on Solaris
>
> Anyone happen to know what their excuse for this one is? They can't claim
> it was a pre-existing setup, because they BUILT msn.

At the time of MSN's launch, NT and IIS weren't stable enough for
what the load and availability requirements.  At the time, the P2
didn't exist, so there wasn't a reasonably-priced x86 solution for
web-serving.  I'll lay good money on them not moving it to NT4/IIS
because of the same reasons involved with Hotmail.

--
"Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity.  Truth
and faithfulness are the most sacred excellences and endowments of