Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        NetSonic <adam@netsonic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Paging, system monitoring

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, NetSonic wrote:

> Can anyone recommend good software we can install that will monitor the
> system, performance, hardware etc for problems and will notify via pager
> when problems arise?
>
> Thanks

I found that this wasn't particularly hard to do in shell script, using
qpage to deliver notification.  It was about a 6 hour job, but I'm not so
much worried with performance monitoring as with functionality.  Most of
the work went into detecting a special case that our ESIX boxes get
themselves into, where they will be pingable, and you can rsh to the box,
but the command never actually executes and never times out to an error.