Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:42:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jasonh@webtrends.com (Jason Holliston)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about soundcard support

> Greetings,
>
> Your FAQ says that FreeBSD 2.2.6 supports "Soundblaster compatible sound
> cards".  I have a Turtle Beach Montego, which claims to be SB
> compatible, but as I understand it from the newsgroups, that
> compatibilty is through special drivers, so it's not _really_ SB
> compatible.  Could you shed some light on this, or perhaps give me a
> place that I can get some good advice on this subject?  Thank you in
> advance.

for many manufacturers "Soundblaster compatible" is just a marketing
thing, in many cases it just means "it produces sound".

When *I* write "XX compatible" I mean that the device is software-wise
almost undistinguishable from XX. About the Turtle Beach Montego,
i have no idea on what it does and how.

	cheers
	luigi