Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2012 09:13:08 -0500
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>, FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPSAFE VFS -- List of upcoming actions

--------------enig8E2EBB2A9B6D2F149D45CFED

--------------090609090007020402060209

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 03:52:05PM +0200, Attilio Rao wrote:
>> anything by SoC involved people about NTFS and certainly I don't see a=

>> plan to get XFS locked.
>=20
> Stupid question, but what amount of locking does XFS in FreeBSD still
> need?  I'm one of the maintainer of XFS on Linux, and while I know
> FreeBSD imported a really old version compared to the current one the
> codebases on IRIX and later Linux never relied on any global Giant-styl=
> locking.  So if there is anything to fix it would be the in the small
> bits of FreeBSD-specific code.
>=20
I would be curious as well. Since I'm one of the people that has done
the port of XFS to FreeBSD I'm wondering what this whole MP initiative
with regards to filesystems is about.

XFS certainly maintained any fine grain locking inherent to XFS it self.
The XFS locks were mapped to FreeBSD sx locks in the code that is in the
tree currently. The last time I made a pass at updating XFS some of
locks were remapped to mtx locks.

Is there somethings in the vfs layer in terms of locking that needs to
be pushed down to the fs?

-Russell