Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 19:53:53 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trent Nelson <trent@snakebite.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: chmod -h 000x against symlink has bizarre results on ZFS

on 28/08/2012 19:43 Trent Nelson said the following:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 08:01:34AM -0700, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Will you be able to test the following patch?
>
>     Sure.  Just out of interest, is it FreeBSD-specific?  Or likely to
>     affect other ZFS platforms as well?  Just out of interest, is it
>     FreeBSD-specific?  Or likely to affect other ZFS platforms as well?
>     Just out of interest, is it FreeBSD-specific?  Or likely to affect
>     other ZFS platforms as well?  Just out of interest, is it FreeBSD
>    -specific?  Or likely to affect other ZFS platforms as well?

Likely to affect other ZFS platforms in some form or shape.  Likely to affect
other ZFS platforms in some form or shape.  Likely to affect other ZFS platforms
in some form or shape. Likely to affect other ZFS platforms in some form or shape.
:-)
At least if those hold true:
- I correctly understood what's going on
- the platforms use the same ZFS core; e.g. I can't say anything about non-public
ZFS code in Oracle Solaris

Also, for the bug to reveal itself there should be at least two variable sized
attributes of a file, one of them must be updated, its value must change size and
the attribute should not the last one.

>> Preferably on a temporary test pool - I don't want to risk your data.
>
>     Ah, thanks for the heads up.  I'll work something out and report
>     back.

Yeah, better safe than sorry.

--
Andriy Gapon