Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:05:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Networking)
Subject:   Differences between FreeBSD NAt & OpneBSD BAT?

	I have been using a FreeBSD machine as my Firewall/NAT machine between
	my home network, and the internet for years. Grist wit dialup ppp, and
	now with cableModem.

	because of the fixed IP address, and the huge amount of break in
	atempts that I am seeinng on i, I am serioulsy considering replacing
	this machien with an OpenBSD machine. The theory being that the "secure
	by default"  philosophy will protect me in areas where I may not quie
	know what I am doing.

	I have read the OpenBSD networking setup information, and most of it
	appears to be comparable. The firewall rules work pretty difernly bu
	default, but I think I understand the differences here.

	The real question is in NAT. I have used the FreeBSD version(s) for
	_years_ and they have been virtualy transparent to me. As far as I can
	recall the _only_ visible difference to the machiens on my network, has
	been haiving to use passive mode CVSUP.

	It appears as though this is not the case with the OpenBSD NAT. It
	looks as though I have to explciitly "proxy" for services that use non
	well known ports.

	Since there is usaually a great deal fo cross-polenation between the
	various *BSD tress, I figure someone on this lis could probably give me
	an explanation of the differences here? Why are thet different? How
	will the differences affect me as a user? What do I need to do to make
	the OpenBSD NAT work as closely as possible to the FreeBSD NAT? Is
	therw a security implication of doing this?

	Thansk for the feedback on this.

	Oh, BTW, I am still deploying lot's of FreeeBSD machines, it's jsut
	That I have the feeling this particular appplication is better suited
	to OpneBSD, given my less than total expertise at dealing with what is
	clearly becomeing quite a hostile world out there. If anyonewants to
	try to cinvince me otherwaise, I would be willing to listen.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems