Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:06:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>
To:        "Gunnarsson, Mikael" <Mikael.Gunnarsson@octapharma.se>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: In another story.. Which USB->BT adapter to buy?

Hello,

> I'm looking to equip my laptop with an USB->Bluetooth adapter, and I need to
> know which adapters I can expect to work with FreeBSD. I looked at the list
> of supported bluetooth devices on the freebsd web site, but I haven't been
> able to locate any of the mentioned devices in my area. However, I blindly
> assume that like wifi devices, most bluetooth devices are actually the same
> product in a different set of clothes..

mostly correct, but not quite :) any bluetooth spec compliant usb device
should work with freebsd.

> I'm currently weighing between the Belkin F8T003

that is a perfect example of non bluetooth spec compliant device :) this
is a broadcom BCM2033 chip based device. it will only work after you
download firmware. freebsd supports this device, but it does not provide
firmware for it. you have to look elseware. i have this device in my
collection.

once again - go to the

http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html

and check usb devices. if driver says "hci_usb" or "hci_usb + bluefw"
the device should work with freebsd.

thanks,
max