Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:44:15 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami), ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache conf -> etc

=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:
> There is yet one reason against: I doubt, that this change can be made
> without major retouching of apache internals at least config
> files and command line arguments must be heavily rewritten.

Rubbish. Look at the patches. There is a macro that can be defined
to specify where SERVERROOT (HTTPD_ROOT) and DOCUMENTROOT
(DOCUMENT_LOCATION) are.

> They have so-called WWW server root and keep config, error, and log
> files under it. All efforts to move config files from server
> root to etc can only cause more confusion. Apache itself search
> config files under <server root>/conf/httpd.conf by default.

Yes, and this <server root> can be placed anywhere. I am choosing
to place it in ${PREFIX}/etc/apache.

> Of course it can be tuned by command line arguments f.e.
> but it leads down to more complexity and confusion, and disallow
> easy migration from another OSes Apache-handled servers to
> FreeBSD. All peoples restart their httpds just by killing them
> and entering 'httpd' again at command prompt. With change you want
> they must to enter additional long command line arguments and
> it is completely unwanted thing.

Rubbish(2). I am running this at home and at work and there are
no long command lines. "httpd" or "httpsd" work just fine.

The only place where folks are likely to get confused is those who
are heavily used to the original philosophy of "everything under
www".  I believe that this is a weak argument, and the philoshophy/religion
of "all configs in etc" is 1) easier to remember 2) easier/better
control 3) more consistent.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key