Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:01:39 +0200
From:      "Angelo Turetta" <aturetta@rainbownet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Shared IRQ?

After a couple of years of Windows-jail, I'm now refreshing my FreeBSD
knowledge while installing a 4.6R firewall/Adsl router/web server box for a
friend.

I must admit that my PC-hardware fluency dates a quite back, but I remember
having to fight against the BIOS to keep every PCI board on different HW
resources.

The Athlon motherboard I'm installing has not a way to specify what IRQ to
assign each PCI slot, and I end up using the same IRQ11 for the two on-board
USB root devices and one of the two network cards, and IRQ10 for both the
AGP video adapter and the second network card.

The kernel is quite happy with this setup, but it's not clear to me what
should I expect when I'll put the machine under real traffic. Will
everything go well when the first network card will trigger an interrupt on
the same line where the USB is used to? Note that I've never run that PC on
any other OS.

Thanks for any answers.
Angelo Turetta