Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 20:57:18 +0100
From:      "Manfred Usselmann" <Usselmann.M@icg-online.de>
To:        "Dongre, Prashant" <ppd2@co.westchester.ny.us>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VMWARE

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:39:22 -0400, Dongre, Prashant wrote:

>Has anyone tried running vmware under FreeBSD/Linux emulation.

I am very impressed  by this software.

I installed  FreeBSD 3.2 as guest OS with  NT 4 as host OS. I had no problems with the
installation. Networking does work too. Only problem I have is the X screen resolution. With
VGA16 it is OK but with SVGA I only get 320 x 200... The VMware Linux X-Server seems
not to work ( thats what the docu says, I did not try it myself). This would probably be the
solution.

It would be very nice if it would even be possible to use FreeBSD as host OS, but currently
only Linux and Win NT/2000 can be host OS. Then you could have Win 98 for example in a
window on your FreeBSD system.

I also tested Win 2000 as guest on my NT 4 box. Worked very well. For this combination you
need a lot of memory though.

Manfred

>TIA
>Prashant

Manfred Usselmann
usselmann.m@icg-online.de
I C G  Informationstechnologie Consulting GmbH
Bahnstr. 7,  D-65835 Liederbach / Ts.
Tel. +49 69 333 623,  Fax +49 69 306 845