Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:12:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lorin Lund <lorin_lund@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange login delays - ftp problems

I've just loaded RELEASE 4.0 on a PC that had been
running 3.3.  I wiped it out and loaded from scratch.

When I telnet in from some computers the login process
is quick and painless, but from others there is a
strange delay.

In the delay case I get the banner and login prompt
without delay. I enter my userID, press enter, get the
password prompt without delay, enter my password and
then wait ... sometimes several minutes before it
gives me the motd and a shell prompt.

I have no idea what to look for.

Also I can't ftp in or out reliable.  Usually when I
try to make an incoming ftp connection I get some
delay and then "Connected to debughost.
"  and then nothing for a long time then
"Connection closed by remote host.
"

When I try to ftp out I get no response for a long
time, then it finally procedes to give me a login
prompt.

Also, when I do and ifconfig -a I see some devices I
don't understand: gif0, gif1, gif2 ... they seem to be
related to IPv6 stuff that I didn't think I asked for.
 Are these normal, optional, standard with RELEASE 4?