Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:28:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "James R. Shrenk" <dionysos3@crosswinds.net>
To:        Backb0ne <backb0ne@start.com.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with a PNP modem but not a Winmodem

I'm sorry to have to say this to you, but all PCTel 56K modems are
software driven and will not function in FreeBSD.  In all honesty, the
PCTel chipset hardly works at all even in windows.  I would recommend that
if you can, take the modem back and if you have the money, look for an
external modem as these are most assuredly hardware driven.

James