Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:54:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Dan=20Fairs?= <danfairs@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail or ???

> > 	Ok, another question. Are there any major differances between
> > Sendmail and Qmail (or another mailer) that I should be aware of?
> I'm a
> > bit concerned with security, but not sure I'm ready to tackle
> > Sendmail. Qmail looks to be a little easier, but I'm not sure who
> it is
> > security wise. Thanks for help!
> >

> Sendmail has got a history of security problems but the latest
> versions
> don't have any security problems that I know of. Qmail is generally
> considered to be quite secure.

I've just installed qmail on my production server. It's a little bit of
a leap from Sendmail in the way it handles everything - but it's a damn
sight easier to configure (etc/sendmail.cf *shudder* ;) and introduces
the Maildir format. Which is quite a bit nicer than the monolithic UNIX
mailbox.

Getting it all working with tcpserver and so on is quite fun ;)

Does anyone know of a decent IMAP server which supports the Maildir
format, however? I'm currently just using the qmail-pop3d daemon, and
grabbing my mail with Netscape. However, I miss Pine... Is there a
version of Pine which supports POP3? Or better, an IMAP server that
understands Maildir?

Cheers,
Dan

=====