Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:27:59 -0800
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   replace non-ascii characters

I know this isn't really a freebsd question, but I'm not sure where else to
ask.  I'm trying to write a small shell script that replaces non-ascii
characters with the html equivalent in a file and just can't seem to figure
how to identify the non-ascii characters.

for example, I have written a small shell script that takes a file name as
input to replace them using sed.  Here is the script.

#!/bin/sh
  for file in $*
  do
    sed -n "s/\\0x80/\&Ccedil\;/g" ${file}
    sed -n "s/\\0x81/\&uuml\;/g" ${file}
    ..... bunches more
  done

The problem is the search part isn't finding the special character.  I have
tried cutting and pasting the special character directly into the script as
well, but it doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry