Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:39:25 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LKM: how to fiddle in interrupt routine ptrs ?

>I guess, that you have noticed that pccard is doing this kind of stuff today,
>and isn't doing it particular well, since nobody knows what to do :-(
>
>It seems to me that we have several kinds of devices:
>
>1. things which say: give me 0x200-0x21f, (similar for iomem, irq & dma).
>2. things which say: give me one of {0x200-0x21f,0x300-0x31f,0x320-0x33f}
>   (similar for iomem, irq & dma).
>3. things which say: give me 0x20 ioaddresses. (similar for iomem, irq & dma)
>
>Now, we need to cater for all of these one way or another, and it doesn't
>get any easier when some pieces of HW use method 2 for port, 1 for irq and
>3 for iomem.
>
>Anybody thought about this from scratch ?

Linux uses a check_region(), request_region() and release_region() approach,
although I don't think there is a giveme_a_region_please().

Memory is a little tricky because many cards don't initalize the memory
until they are started, which may not be at device load time. We don't
initialize our card with the device specified location, which gives you the
flexibility to move it around (in case of confict) without changing the kernel.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25