Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:50:41 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
To:        Luoqi Chen <lchen@briontech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to debug mmap(2) with pcm(3)?

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Mon, 24.02.2003 at 13:30:30 -0800, Luoqi Chen wrote:
> This is a "feature" of ia32 architecture, there isn't a notion of
> write-only memory access, write access implies read access. If you
> want to "fix" the problem with pcm device, very simple, go to file
> sys/i386/trap.c and replace all occurrences of PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE
> with PROT_WRITE.

Hmm, I only have a few occurrences of VM_PROT_READ/_WRITE in that file.

Well, why is the piece of OSS Code working on -CURRENT? And why does the
man-page say nothing about implicit read-access when trying to write?
Why does the mmap() not fail, but _always_ return a pointer with value
0x28104000?

Couln't someone with more knowledge look into this issue?

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--