Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:16:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 4.2.0 "xf86cfg" command, one day at a time :(

[Posted and mailed]

In article <20020403202433.C68910-100000_earl-grey.cloud9.net@ns.sol.net>,
	Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com writes:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, mpd wrote:
>
>> The sysmouse device should already exist. If it doesn't, MAKEDEV it.
>
> I have tried both editing the XF86Config.new file and `ln -s /dev/sysmouse
> /dev/mouse` but am failing on both accounts, seemingly?

If you haven't already overcome this obstacle, try this:

Get the console pointer working. For me, it was as simple as putting
    moused_enable="YES"
    moused_flags="-3 -r high"
in /etc/rc.conf. Then, in /etc/X11/XF86Config, in the "Core Pointer's
InputDevice section", see that the options are set like this:
    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/sysmouse"
These tell the server to "adopt" the mouse daemon's device.

Be sure that securelevels is set off (-1 or 0).

Don't be mucking about with symlinking stuff in /dev; you just shouldn't
have to if the OS is running right.

FWIW, I installed XF86 4.2.0 from XFree86's FreeBSD binary distribution,
and it works like a charm (albeit with a different video subsystem than
yours).

HTH,
Dave