Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:10:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0: interrupt timeout (status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error   1<no_dam>)

Doug White wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > >
 > > Do those drives happen to be IBM DeskStar drives?
 > > They spin down automatically when they have not been turned
 > > off for about a week, in order to clean the heads.
 > > It's a feature.
 >
 > You've got to be kidding.

No, I'm serious, that behaviour is a fact, and it's documented.

 > That makes them totally useless for server
 > operation

The IBM DeskStar series is for desktop use, not for Servers.
(Apart from the fact that I wouldn't use IDE drives for real
servers anyway.)

 > -- at some random time every week, down goes your server for a
 > few minutes. :(

No, only a few seconds.  If there doesn't happen to be a disk
access in that time interval, you won't notice at all.  Other-
wise you'll get that log message from the driver.

This is the background of that feature:  The IBM DeskStar disks
are specifically designed for at least one on/off cycle per
day.  The "landing zones" where the heads are parked consist of
a special layer that cleans the heads.  If the disk is not
switched off for a long period, the disk enforces a short spin-
down + spin-up to clean the disk heads periodically.  All of
this is explained in more detail in a white paper of IBM, I
think it is available from IBM's site.

IBM's server disks (UltraStar) are designed for much fewer
on/off cycles (in fact IBM recommends that they should not be
used in desktops that are switched off very often, e.g. for
power-saving or noise-reduction).  They don't have that
cleaning layer (and they don't need it).  That's one of the
reasons why they're more expensive.

Bottom line:  For a server, buy server disks.  If you use
cheap IBM DeskStar disks in a server, you won't get 100%
availability (rather 100% minus a few seconds per week).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)