Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:28:13 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Nikolay Tychina <niktychina@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 4 hangs at splash screen when using KMS enabled 10-CURRENT

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM, Nikolay Tychina <niktychina@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I freshly built x11/xorg and x11/kde4 on FreeBSD 10-CURRENT and was
>>ready to use it with new Intel driver, but
>>after I kldloaded i915kms.ko and started X, KDE just hung up at its
>>splash screen after displaying its logo (last icon). Then screen got
>>blank with only a movable mouse cursor on it.
>
> I disabled "Composite" extension in xorg.conf and KDE started fine. No
> effects though.
> Is there an issue with Intel driver or X or anything else?
> Everything seems to work quite well, but I'm just curious.

While this may or may not be the issue, you should not EVER kldload
i915kms.ko! This WILL result in a hung system. You should start X
normally (startx or via ?dm) and Xorg will load all of the required
modules. I believe that this is in the wiki.

Oh, and on't EVER kldunload it, either.It is definitely documented
that this will panic the system.

Several people have posted this problem on two or three different
lists.(I am was almost one of them.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com