Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:42:17 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID Recomendation

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 04:16:40PM -0600, Kirk Strauser
<kirk@strauser.com> wrote:

> > 1 - Can I do this with software?  I have read sections 12 and 13 but I am
> > still a bit confused if I can back up the entire disk?
>
> Absolutely!  I'm using vinum on several production systems to great effect.
>
> > That is, if one fails will it boot with the other?  I would like to mirror
> > everything, including the OS.
>
> The *only* thing that vinum can't (conveniently) do is mirror the root
> partition.  However, rsync plus a 2-line shell script and a cron job can
> handle that task.
>
> Just to let you know ahead of time, vinum seems terribly complex the first
> time you try to use it, but it's really not that difficult.  Work through
> the examples and you'll be running in mirrored (or RAID-5'ed) glory in no
> time.

Just a word of warning. Have you ever tried to rebuild failed disk
in an online R5 volume? Last time I tried it the result was totally
corrupt filesystem. Perhaps it is changed, but I encourage everybody
going this route to test it (R5) configuration thoroughly.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee